Monday, January 24, 2011

Sans skirt

I'm reading "Eat, Pray, Love."  I have heard about this book for several years with the first attention being thrown at it by the bushels by Oprah.  I have to admit that if Oprah recommends a book, I usually shun it just to remain an outcast of the flocking masses.  I saw this book lying around at my mom's and decided to read it because after all, I wouldn't mind being able to touch something a little bigger than me.  Perhaps I too could connect to a blue-light spiritual side and have some soulful electricity travel up my spine and burst through my cranium.  Supposedly that's what happened to the author when she finally was able to reach that height in her meditation.  But then suddenly, I realized that the India part of this book, the "Pray" section was boring. How can spiritualism be boring?  Well, I'm not done with the section yet and I'm still reading with an open mind.  So far, I must admit, I prefer the "Eat" section.  So much so that last night we went out to eat pizza in honor of her exploits through Italy.  Oh, let me add that I am not shunning the "Praying" just that the meditation, chants and "Om ma Shamalama" sanskrit mantras aren't my speed.

Have you read this book?  All the way through?  If so, share your thoughts with me.  I know I have 4 followers to my blog now and one of them is me, but Cheryl, Mary Ann, Ann - any thoughts or am I alone in my literary choices thus far.

3 comments:

  1. haven't read it...must admit.
    I have been toying with the idea..but like you hesitate buying something just because Oprah has the masses doing it.
    My daughter has the movie and she thinks it's good. But I guess I am waiting for someone to leave it sitting around their place to motivate me to pick it up and give it a look too.

    I do have some connection or am have some experience with being open to meditation (if that is what some choose to call it)or the world of energy work. It is surprisingly amazing to me and can have powerful feelings, thoughts and etc tied to it when you experience it.
    But to sit and mediate as some think when one says the word..I struggle with.
    I guess like religion...I have my own way rather then to just join the main streamers.

    So...to make the long comment point..I haven't read it...so am interested in your input..keep going and keep me informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Didn't I hear the author now has relationship problems or something? I could be wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read past the India section, but plan to read some pages before bed and will indeed keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete